An error occurred during port configuration is one of the most common error on Windows 10 while using a printer. This error message shows up when the user presses the Configure Ports button while tweaking port settings. The error can prevent you from making changes to the Ports settings of your printer. If you are also facing the same error message on your device, then you come to the right place. In this article, we will teach you how to solve “an error occurred during port configuration” message.
Solution 1: Changing the Port Settings from the Admin Account
This error message usually appears due to a lack of the required permissions and privileges. You must need administrator privileges in order to get rid of this error. If you change the port setting with the help of the Windows 10 admin account, then you can remove this error from your computer.
- Head to the Settings by navigating to the Start Menu. Alternatively, you can tap Start + I keys together to bring the Settings windows.
- Navigate to Accounts.
- Head to Family from the left side navigation bar.
- Choose your account and then tap on the Change account type option.
- Then click on the Administrator option.
- Hit the OK button.
- Reboot the device.
Solution 2: Using Print Server Properties
If the “An error occurred during port configuration” message appears even after applying method one, then don’t worry we can still fix the issue. There is an alternative way to tweak the port settings on Windows 10. Here’s how to use print server properties to change the port settings:
- Head to the Start Menu either by hitting the Windows key or clicking on the Start menu button on the lower-left.
- Once the Start Menu appears, search for the Control Panel and then select the Control Panel icon from the results.
- When the Control Panel triggers, Head to the Devices and Printers option.
- Choose your printer device.
- Go to Print Server properties. Tap on the Ports tab.
- Now press the Change Port Settings option.
- Choose the listed port and then go to the Configure Port option.
Solution 3: Resetting the Printer
You can also fix the “an error occurred during port configuration” error message by resetting the Printer on your desktop or laptop. See the below instructions to fix the port configuration error on windows 10:
- Turn off your printer.
- Unplug all printer related cables.
- Wait for a while or for 2-3 minutes.
- After that, plugin all cables back to their desired places.
- Power on the printer and see if the error still persists.
Solution 4: Clear the Queue of your Printer
Stuffing the printer queues with several commands at the same time can trigger the “An error occurred during port configuration” error. In order to resolve the issue, make sure that the printer queue is clear and free from any previous, pending commands. Here is how to clear the printer queue:
- Hit the Start and R keys together for once.
- This will trigger the Run dialogue box for you.
- Now type “services.msc” in the Run dialogue box.
- Hit the Enter key on your computer keyboard.
- Open the Print Spooler just by double-clicking on the Print Spooler option.
- Hit the Stop option in the print spooler window.
- Press the OK button.
- Now open the File Explorer and then navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS.
- Select all items in the Printers folder by pressing the CTRL + A keys.
- While selecting all items, hit the Delete button.
- Now when everything is deleted in the Printer folder, jump back to the Print Spooler window.
- Run the service again by clicking on the Start button.
Ashley Miller is a Mcafee product expert and has been working in the technology industry since 2002. As a technical expert, she has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as mcafee.com/activate.